Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My First Trip to Hong Kong


So a few months ago, I had the pleasure to take a trip to Hong Kong for literally just a-day-and-a-half.

My boss is really anal about mailing personal documents, especially abroad, so he flew me to HK (all expenses paid) to pick up some stuff for him. I had a lot of fun for the short time I was there. What I enjoyed most was the food.. It was soooo good! Cheap, greasy, filling..
For breakfast, they have these combos. One of them was instant noodles, with a spam & egg sandwich and tea for like $3 lol





What didn't help was that my hotel was in such a food-convenient location. Downstairs was restaurants that were open until late at night.. I probably gained weight even being there for only a day.


By the way..McDonalds in NYC is way better than there! I just had to try a Big Mac when I was there and I wasn't impressed lol. The meal was smaller too, the fries were tiny

I stayed at Butterfly on the Prat
It's a small boutique hotel located on Prat Avenue, which is in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui. There's restaurants on the block and the walk to the metro is very close. I was a little worried about not being able to speak enough Chinese but it's not a problem when you go to HK because almost everyone speaks English. The concierge of the hotel helped A LOT!








I wanted to take advantage of the day-and-a-half that I was there so I decided to look at the must-do's in HK. One of them was to ride the Star Ferry - I took the ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central, which is the Financial District. I was told to take it at night because the view is beautiful, and it was.




I was taking a cab and the driver luckily spoke English. He was asking me where I was from and got really excited when I told him New York City. He said that I should try exploring the town at night time and that it's NOTHING like NYC; it's much safer at night and the crime rates are way lower. I didn't believe him of course because it would be naive of me to, but I still decided to just explore a little...
I walked past the Red Light District and was so intrigued but just didn't have the balls to stay out there. Then I walked past some parks and was surprised how many people were outside playing basketball..








I got so excited everytime I saw American fast food places lol, the menus were basically the same though





I walked to Mongkok, where the Ladie's Market is. It took about an hour or two but that's where you can find really cool stuff. Sneakers, bags, clothes everything. This is where I bought my Nike SB swagger pack that everyone here dies over ;)



It was winter when I was there but it was sooooo hot and humid! I felt a bit out of place because I would be wearing shorts or a t-shirt while everyone else was actually wearing winter clothes. I drank A LOT of where while I was there!




The metro station was so clean there. NOTHING like NYC. No bums, no loud kids.. It was pretty relaxing




The airport was amazing. There were parts of it that looked like an art museum. And the food was also yummy there. For breakfast, I had congee and this glutinous rice wrapped in a leaf.




Going to Hong Kong has been the best experience in my life I've had so far. It was a bit sad that it was such a short trip, but I plan on going back with more people so that I can have the full experience. Traveling has become my new favorite thing and I can't wait to go to other places.. Barcelona, Brazil, Tokyo.. Can't wait :D

No comments:

Post a Comment